Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Christmas! In a few minutes it will be over for another year. Another year of looking for the perfect gift, baking cookies (well, I didn't actually bake them, but someone did!), decorating, cleaning, partying, and the list goes on and on. However, this year, unlike some years in the past, we took a few moments to sit still, be quiet, and reflect on what today is REALLY about.

It all started when Shea learned that if she drove to SC for Christmas, she would be here for about 24 hours before she had to drive back to Atlanta to work. After helping her through the initial disappointment, we began to remind her that Christmas isn't a day, it's about family....no matter where you are or if you are forced to celebrate on a different day. The true meaning of Christmas is the same as it was all those years ago.......about being together and celebrating the joys, just as Mary and Joseph celebrated the birth of their baby and the togetherness that they felt. (Think of what poor Joseph must have felt like that night as he held the infant in his arms for the first time....don't you think he knew without a doubt that he was holding the son of God??) So, this set of circumstances with Shea made us all reflective.

Our new church has a tradition that, at first, I thought was odd. They had a candlelight service, but not in the traditional sense. The object is that the church is lit only by candlelight, each attendee comes in and sits quietly, praying or whatever, and when finished, comes to the front of the church to take communion from Steve and then have him pray for their families. I wasn't so sure about this, but walked over to check it out. IT WAS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST MEANINGFUL CHRISTMAS EVE SERVICE I HAVE EVER ATTENDED. I know you won't believe this, but I sat quietly for an hour while watching our church people come and go. Several times, I got misty-eyed as I saw what this ritual meant to them. It was so moving to be able to think and meditate on the very best part of Christmas. I'm so grateful that I took the time to sit and reflect on this past year and all of the blessings that He gave me.

So, this Christmas was absolutely perfect. We were reminded of how much we love each other, how much God loves us, and how we need to remember the TRUE meaning of Christmas all year long.

BTW, Shea did decide to come, and we are so happy. It's amazing watching the kids all together laugh and play (they especially laughed at my ineptness at Rock Band!) and to see the looks on their faces when we surprised them several times during our gift exchange. We know that it won't be many years before in-laws and grandkids will be added to the mix, but for now we will enjoy the gift we cherish most.......our family!

No comments: