Monday, December 29, 2008

a new teenager

It occured to be that I totally missed writing about my baby's 13th birthday. I must have blocked this event from my mind thinking it wouldn't really happen if I didn't think about it. I can hardly believe that 13 years ago, God blessed me with this wonderful and amazing child. How did I get so lucky?

It's funny how things work out. I didn't want to have anymore children for several years after we had Stevie. I thought I was done. The biggest reason was that I really wanted a little boy, and knew that I would be disappointed if that didn't happen. I also knew that Steve really wanted to have another to try for a boy. I began to pray about it, and seek a peace about the possibility that I could have another daughter.

Now, before you start, I love my girls. I just always wanted a boy, and I'm convinced that the baby we lost was a girl so I felt like I was just destined to have girls! Anyway, once I felt that peace that I sought, I agreed to try one more time (truth be told, this should have been my first attempt instead of my last---but that is a totally different blog!). I knew as soon as I found out that I was pregnant that my son would arrive 9 months later. I was very, very confident.

My pregnancy did not come without drama, of course, and my little man arrived about 3 weeks sooner than planned due to some complications. He was perfect in every way. He smiled all of the time, laughed a lot, and was a great baby!

But, today ( a couple of weeks after his Dec. 15 bday), he is a teenager. Where did the time go? He is growing into quite a young man. I look forward to seeing where God leads him. I pray that he will follow in the footsteps of his dad and become a man of integrity. These next several years will go by so much quicker than the first 13, he'll move out and go to college, one day find a woman to marry (whom I feel sure will not be good enough for him HAHA!), and settle into a life on his own. Through all of this, he will still be my baby boy for whom I prayed.

I LOVE YOU, LUKE!!

No comments: