Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Express

Steve and I went to see the movie, The Express, this past weekend. It was a great movie, but as I was watching it, I kept thinking, "What is wrong with these people?" This movie is about the first black man to win the Heismann trophy, and the difficulties he faced because of the color of his skin. Sometimes, I really wonder what gets into the minds of people that makes them act so stupid. Racism is simply ignorance on fire regardless of which way it leans. It's time to let it go. White, black, brown, purple, green, orange...honestly, does it matter? Great people come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I simply do not look at people that way, and would have a hard time telling you how many of any particular color students are in my class. We need to strive to be better at this, honestly.

Our country may very well elect for the first time ever a black man to be the leader of the greatest nation on the planet. The leader of the free world! Doesn't that say something about how far we've come? Possibly, we have a ways to go, but let's forget the past and work towards a better, brighter future for our children. Teach them to love others and to do for others regardless of the color of their skin. Isn't that what Jesus taught us? I'm grateful that I am surrounded by like-minded people who love people for who they are, not what they are.

No comments: