We had the privilege of hearing AGL at Jones Creek Baptist Church this past Sunday. She was, of course, wonderful! She had many good talking points, several of which I want to talk about here--not all at once!
She asked a question that I thought was interesting. Is there a promise that God has made to you that you are not expecting Him to keep? I realized that yes, I had given up on a promise that he gave to me a long time ago. When Steve originally decided that he was being called into the ministry, it was a hard decision for both of us. God promised us that He would do something great with Steve. Now, define great! For me, that meant that Steve would accomplish great things--probably more in the sight of man than in the sight of God.
As I have pondered this over the past two days, I realized that not only have I stopped believing that God would fulfill that promise, but that my definition of "great" needs to change. I've spoken several times about the small church in South Carolina for which we feel a tug in our hearts. Several of Steve's friends and some of our family have made comments that Steve is too talented for this small congregation and maybe we should wait for something bigger to come along. I, too, have wondered if the pasture might be greener somewhere else. Then, it hit me! The pasture is always greenest wherever God wants you. WOW!
Can God do a mighty work at Beaverdam Baptist? the answer- a resounding yes! Do I expect Him to? the answer- sadly, no. I seem to have forgotten the joy that comes with watching God work. So, did AGL shake ME up? You bet she did! I once again am claiming that promise that He made to me many moons ago--He still has something great in store for us, only this time as I anticipate this blessing, I will remember that the great thing He does won't be so man can see Steve's glory, but that man will see the glory of the One who truly deserves it.
What promise have you given up on?
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment