
Seventeen years ago today, I went to the hospital to have my second child. It seems as though I have turned around and she has grown up. Stevie has developed into a unique individual who walks to the beat of her own drummer....which is herself since she is a drummer. I certainly didn't see that one coming!
I had to take her to the doctor every week for the first six weeks of her life to be weighed because she wasn't gaining any weight. The doctor figured out (what I knew before she was born) in just a few short weeks....her metabolism was so high that she simply burned off the calories quickly. This was our child who rolled over at a week old. She couldn't stay in her bassinet after that, so on to the crib she went. The crib didn't really last long either because she learned how to crawl out of it. The doctor seriously suggested a net so that we could keep her contained at night! She would get up in the middle of the night as a toddler, climb to the top of the pantry for ingredients for her favorite food.......peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! She would then proceed to make and eat said sandwich. We would only know that she had done this after we would awaken in the morning and find the KNIFE she had used and the crumbs!
This is how we knew that we were in BIG trouble!! She's been a hard one to contain. However, as she has gotten older, she has found other art forms to express herself, and we are exceptionally proud of her for that.
It's an amazing process to watch your child grow into her own person, and to watch as she makes life decisions that may take her away from you. Her goal right now is California or bust! So, we may lose her to the big LA or she may opt to stay closer, but either way, I know that she has a brightly colored future ahead of her.
I love you, Stevie! Happy Birthday!

No comments:
Post a Comment